27 Feb 2015

Nine Questions with Keith Seatman

Nine Questions is a new regular feature on the Active Listener, where we ask our favourite artists nine simple questions and get all sorts of answers....

Today.... Hampshire based Hauntology / synth wizard Keith Seatman, whose album "Around the Folly & Down Hill", we obsessed over recently.

What was the first record you bought? 
Sparks This Town Ain't Big Enough For the Both of Us. Saw them on Top of the Pops and thought it was the best thing ever, and went out the following Saturday to buy it. I still have it as well.

What was the last record you bought? 
The last music I bought was The Souless Party Archive Material 98-02 and a 2nd hand vinyl album, Birthday by The Peddlers.

What's one thing about you that very few people know? 
In 1979 I was in a band called the Marilyn Monroes who released 1 Cassette album. I found out years later that Brian from Reneldo and The Loaf had a copy. Brian told me that it had inspired Renaldo to do a cassette release themselves (more on that here).

If you could record with any one artist who would it be and why?
I really can not answer this question that well. I am normally just grateful to work with anyone. If anyone will have me.

Who should we be listening to right now?
Everything......if possible at all times. I still get a mad rush when I hear something I really like. Recently I Love You All from the Film Frank sung by Michael Fassbender. It really is a wonderful song.

Vinyl, CD or digital? 
Vinyl because I love the whole buying and rummaging through racks of records process, and then of course holding the cover in your hands and slowly getting the album out of its sleeve. I have lots of CDs but just do not get the same buzz flicking through shelves and rows of plastic boxes. MP3s are convenient and also very handy.

Tell us about your latest release. 
Around the Folly and Downhill was released in May 2014 and has been a slow but steady plodder. Have had some fantastic reviews/feedback for the album, and even got played on BBC Radio 3 (which was a real shock). The album has been described as psychedelic, pastoral, hauntological, creepy, odd, downright unnerving. I think a couple of those words cropped up in a School Report about me once.

What's next for you, musically? 
The new album should be out by Sept 2015 (track excerpts on soundcloud). The new album has 3 tracks with voice and vocals by singer/songwriter Douglas E Powell. I would describe it as being a bit clunky, disjointed, noisy, and quite distorted in places.

What's for dinner? 
A Curry, always. Followed by a Vodka and coke with ice of course.

https://soundcloud.com/keith-seatman 
http://keithseatman.bandcamp.com/
https://twitter.com/KeithSeatman
http://www.mixcloud.com/keithseatman/
http://testtransmissionarchive.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment